Search Search

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there community cleaning supplies?

There are no community cleaning supplies (including vacuum cleaners) available for private use. There are cleaning supplies in the Rec Rooms; however, these are only to be used for cleaning the Rec Rooms.

Is there compulsory recycling?

Check out our page on Recycling in the Cats for more information.

Where are the trash bins and dumpsters?
There are several trash bins around the Catalinas. Any trash taken from your apartment should go into the large trash dumpsters. There are four trash dumpsters located throughout the Catalinas. For more specific location information, please consult this map.

What if my card won’t let me into the Rec Rooms?
If your card won’t let you into the Rec Rooms, please call Security at 626-395-4701. They will be able to modify your card access.

Where are the laundry rooms, and how do I pay for laundry?
There is a laundry room in each of the three Rec Rooms (North, Central, and South Cats). The cost for laundry depends on the length of the wash cycle. The cheapest wash cycle costs $1.25, and the dryers cost $0.75. Each dryer can hold two washer loads. You may pay for your laundry using quarters or you can charge it to your Bursars account by using your Caltech ID card.

How should I have packages mailed to me?

Check out our page on Mail in the Cats for information on packages.

 How can I have mail forwarded?

Check out our page on Mail in the Cats for information on mail forwarding.

What should I do if I get locked out of my apartment or room?
If you get locked out of your apartment or your room, please call Security at 626-395-4701 to let you in. 

What if I have an emergency?
Please call Caltech Security. Their emergency phone number is 626-395-5000. There is someone answering emergency calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What if I have insect problems?
If you think you may have bed bugs, contact Housing immediately to avoid spreading them to other apartments. Housing can be reached at 626-395-6176. For all other infestations, it is recommended to contact Housing to see what services they can offer.

Where can I submit a maintenance request?

To submit a service request for your room, apartment, or house, please log into your account and click on "AiM Customer Portal" and select "Housing". Most issues will be taken care of within two days. If you are just moving into a new apartment, you should fill out the Off-campus move-in inspection form.

What can I submit a maintenance request for?
Residents may submit a maintenance request for the following issues. Maintenance requests will be completed without cost to the resident except as indicated below.

  • Anything in the apartment that is broken or damaged and was provided by Caltech
  • Plumbing problems: clogged drains or toilets, broken disposals, etc.
  • Cleaning services (this costs extra money)

What if I have an after hours emergency maintenance request?
An after hours emergency maintenance problem is anything that needs to be solved as soon as possible in order to avoid damage to the apartment. Please call 626-395-6571. 

How can I become a Catalina Community Associate (CCA)?

We welcome new members to our team at any time of the year! For more information, please go here.

How can I apply to be a Resident Associate (RA)?
Graduate students may apply to be an RA for the graduate or undergraduate communities. The RA application process starts at the end of fall term and continues through January. The process consists of short essay questions, student references, and interviews. Keep an eye out for our emails and flyers about when the application becomes available. Note that the graduate RA and undergraduate RA applications are separate.